Recipes for type 2 diabetes
Are you looking for some healthy and delicious recipes to help you manage your type 2 diabetes? If so, you are in the right place!
When trying to build healthy meals, there are a few simple steps we can follow. The most important can be to prioritise real whole foods and limit highly processed options, as well as adding in extra veggies, having some good quality protein and limiting higher carbohydrate foods to 1/4 of the plate. If you want to know more about the key dietary strategies that can help you manage your weight and blood sugars, then check out our previous article on the diabetes reversal diet here. To see these principles put into action in some delicious and nutritious recipes, see some of our favourite examples below!
Chocolate and Coconut Chia Breakfast (v)
- 1 Can of Coconut Milk
- 100g Water
- 75g Chia Seeds
- 1 tbsp Cacao Powder
- 60g Strawberries
- 90g Koko Coconut Diary Free Yoghurt
- 2 tsp Desiccated Coconut
- 20g Walnuts
- 30g Smooth Almond Butter
- Add the coconut milk, water, chia seeds and cacao powder to a bowl and mix well to combine.
- Place the chia mixture in bowls or jars and leave to set in the fridge overnight.
- When set top the chia pudding with the chopped strawberries, coconut yoghurt, desiccated coconut, walnuts and almond butter and enjoy.
Chicken Lettuce Wraps
- 1 tbsp Olive Oil
- 2 Cloves of Garlic
- 450g Chicken Breast
- 150g Peppers
- 200g Cucumber
- 100g Mayonnaise
- 10g Lettuce
- Heat the olive oil in a large frying pan and then sauté the garlic for a couple of minutes.
- Add the chicken and season with the salt and pepper then fry until the chicken is cooked through.
- Allow the chicken to cool and then slice.
- Add the chicken to a bowl and combine with the red pepper, cucumber, mayonnaise and season.
- Equally divide the filling between the 8 lettuce leaves.
Creamy Mushroom & Leek Stroganoff (v)
- 1 Clove of Garlic
- 1 Leek
- 100g Mushrooms
- 1 tbsp Olive Oil
- 1/2 Vegetable Stock Cube
- 50g Boiled Water
- 30g Brown Rice
- 200g Cauliflower
- 50g Full Fat Creme Fraiche
- 1 Pinch of Salt
- 1 Pinch of Black Pepper
- 1 tbsp Ricotta
- 1 Handful of Fresh Parsley
- 15g Flaked Almonds
- Start by preparing the vegetables, slice the garlic, leek and mushrooms.
- Heat half of the olive oil in a frying pan over a medium heat and add the garlic and leek. Cook for 5 minutes then add the mushrooms. Stir together the stock cube and boiling water before adding to the pan, cook for a further 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile cook the rice for 20 minutes or until tender.
- Grate the cauliflower for the cauliflower rice and cook in the remaining olive oil in a frying pan over a medium heat. Add the creme fraiche to the vegetables and slowly warm through, season with salt and pepper.
- Drain the rice once cooked and serve with the cauliflower rice and ricotta cheese mixed together, top with the creamy mushrooms and garnish with parsley and flaked almonds.